Performs a variety of routine and emergency maintenance and equipment operation tasks related to the construction, operation, maintenance and repair of street, water, sewer, storm water and parks facilities and systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
Inspects and/or repairs chlorine machine, booster pumping stations, reservoir, meters, streets, drainage systems and sewer system at frequent intervals to insure that all aspects of the systems are functioning properly.
Maintains a variety of records relating to inspections, maintenance activity, water supply, consumption, etc.
Determines the locations of gas, telephone, power, television, water, sewer, and utility lines from the appropriate sources prior to excavation.
Responds to complaints regarding water leaks, pressure loss or no water; evaluates situation; explains findings to supervisor. May take action as needed to resolve immediate problems.
Responds to low vacuum pressure in the sewer system, have the ability to locate and solve the problem, and takes actions needed to resolve the immediate problem; prepares report of incident for supervisor.
Contacts residents and business owners in area where services will be discontinued and explains when services will be shut off and how soon it will be turned back on.
Insures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use.
Drives trucks of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, gravel and sand.
Operates light and medium‑sized construction and power equipment, such as mechanized broom, jetter/inductor truck or backhoe/loader.
Performs routine inspection and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment and refers defects or needed repairs to supervisor; cleans equipment.
Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a crew, including pavement cutting, ditch digging, manhole and line cleaning, main and pipe repair, laying and backfilling.
Cuts, fits, lays, repairs, taps, cleans and flushes water mains, pipe, gates and fittings on repair of mains and services and installation of services, fire hydrants and drinking fountains; assists in shutting off broken sections of water mains.
Operates a variety of power, construction and maintenance equipment used in the water, sewer and street department.
Works under the supervision of the Public Works Superintendent.
May supervise the work of maintenance workers and others as assigned.
- Graduation from high school education or GED equivalent,
- 3 Years of related experience, or
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Some knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in maintenance, construction and repair activities.
- Some skill in operation of some of the listed tools and equipment.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work safely.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Must be available for on-call work assignments on a rotating basis and 24-hour call out for emergencies.
Desirable Training and Experience
- Valid Washington State Driver's license and a good driving record.
- Water Distribution Manager I Certification, preferred.
- Cross Connection Specialist Certification, preferred.
- Valid WSDOT Flagger’s Certificate.
- Valid CPR/First Aid Certificate.
This is a Union Position
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- State of Washington Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS)
- Sick leave accrual at one (1) day per month
- Vacation leave accrual after completion of six (6) months continuous service
- Ten (10) paid legal holidays per year, plus one (1) floating holiday
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
How to Apply
Submit a completed City of Carnation Employment Application, cover letter and resume, either by mail or in person, to Carnation City Hall, PO Box 1238, 4621 Tolt Avenue, Carnation, WA 98014 or via email: email@example.com.
Start Date: As soon as possible
First Review of Applications: 12/08/2017
Position is open until filled.